bld architecture was selected by cape advisors, inc. and racanelli construction for this extraordinary exterior restoration, renovation and expansion of the bulova watchcase factory in sag harbor, ny. the original masonry and heavy timber framed structure (c.1881) was converted into luxury residential units for sale. seven new townhouse structures were built and share a common landscape courtyard and pool above a lower level parking structure.
the existing factory building is a designated historic landmark in the village of sag harbor (known as the bulova plant), and the site is located in the sag harbor historic district. the building was abandoned for many years and in a state of disrepair. the project involved a change of use, historic restoration, adaptive reuse and new construction. the factory building units have new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, new fire stairs, elevators, roofs, windows and entrances. adjacent to the factory building is the below-grade parking structure, a new recreation / fitness building and twenty-two residential units. cost control was especially important due to the wide range of unknown conditions of converting an old building and financing during a fragile economy.